APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN
FOR THE SPRING 2020 BASIC TRAINING CLASS
Come learn from local experts who cover topics in biogeography, citizen science, ecology, geology, interpretation, native flora and fauna, weather and climate, and much more.
The Basic Training Course, the first step towards initial certification, offers fun and interactive instruction on our local environment. Becoming certified typically takes 6 to 12 months. The first step is attending all classes and field trips (or making them up), completing the final exam and presenting a service project.
Initial certification, as well as annual recertification, requires 8 hours of continuing education and 40 hours of volunteer service. Basic and continuing education is both educational and useful for preparing participants to volunteer as master naturalists in their communities.
SPRING 2020 COURSE DETAILS
- Classes run February 20 – May 14, 2020 on Thursdays from 7-10 p.m.
- Classes meet at the Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Pkwy, Fairfax, VA.
- Field trips to Fairfax County natural areas will be held four Saturdays during the course from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Attendance at the 12 classes and 4 field trips is mandatory for certification. Up to three classes (or two classes and one field trip) may be made up within 12 months of completion of basic training (e.g., during the next training cycle, with another master naturalist chapter, or by making special arrangements with approval from the Training Committee Chair).
- Students need internet access because course materials and announcements will be provided online.
- The program is targeted toward adults, 18 or older. Youth, age 16-17, may apply under specific conditions.
- Class size is limited to 20 trainees with a maximum of two youth.
- The course fee of $200 covers basic training and course materials. A limited number of need-based scholarships are available. To request a scholarship, attach a letter to your application stating your need
and the portion of the course fee that you can pay.